Spend Less and Play More in Boracay
Fun facts about Philippines
- Preferred currency is Philippine Peso but they are willing to accept US Dollar and Euro.
- National language is Tagalog but they can understand English
- Main religion is Christian and their secondary is Muslim.
- Time zone is +8 GMT
- Power voltage is 220v and normally they use type A power socket.
- Do not tip them in coins. That's for beggar.
- Tourists in Boracay are mostly from Korea. China ranked second.
- Low season is between early June to end of October due to higher chances of rain. In rare occasion, there will be typhoon on November or December.
- The temperature during the day is approximately 32 degrees Celsius and 28 degrees Celsius at night. It is extremely hot when you are directly under the sun but the wind breeze is somehow refreshing and pleasing.
- When you are departing from Kalibo International Airport, you need to pay PHP500/pax for Airport Terminal Fee
- Pork is the local's favorite meat so to my Muslim friends please take note on this when you are choosing a place to dine.
1) Transportation - you can read more in "Getting to Boracay" post
The lowest I able to negotiate is PHP200/pax inclusive boat fare which is only PHP25. The mode of transportation is van which can fit up to 13 pax. You may need to wait for a while for them to fill up the entire van. I believe if I spend more time in negotiating I might able to get PHP200/pax inclusive boat fare and land transfer to my hotel at Boracay island. Maybe you should try this.
Summary of transportation cost:
Land Transfer from Kalibo Airport - Caticlan Jetty: PHP200/way = PHP400
Jetty Terminal Fee: PHP100/way = PHP200
Environmental Fee: PHP75 (one time charge) = PHP75
Airport Terminal Fee: PHP500 (during departure) = PHP500
Tricycle hotel transfer: PHP25/way = PHP50
TOTAL Transportation Cost: PHP1,225/pax
|There are 7 well-known beaches on this island which are White Beach, Puka Shell Beach, Bulabog Beach, Diniwid Beach, Banyugan Beach, Ilig-Iligan Beach and Punta Bunga Beach. So you need to decide which beach you would prefer to stay on.|
- Best place away from noise
- This is the closest beach to the most hectic White Beach.
- You still need 40 minutes walk to the White Beach. You can always rent a bicycle @PHP100/hour.
- The only beach on the island with rocks.
- You can only see sunset here.
- You can do free cliff jumping here.
- There are more than 10 hotels/resorts on this beach.
- The price is starting from PHP1800/night*
Punta Bunga Beach/Banyugan Beach
- A lot of high class resorts and hotels are located here. The most popular one is the Shangri-la Hotel for owning the whole Banyugan Beach.
- It is a quiet and extremely private beach. You can't access this beach unless you are staying in one of the hotel here or you are signing up their Island Hopping tour.
- You are basically dining in your own hotel and no other shops or restaurants around here.
- You get to see the sunset here...privately without many people standing in the view.
- There are around 4 hotels here
- The price is starting from PHP5500/night*
Puka Shell Beach
- The northern part of Boracay Island
- Facing Coracao Island and is the best place to watch sunset.
- Quiet and peaceful place
- The sand is rough
- Not many restaurants available here. Mostly you are dining in your own hotel/resorts all the time.
- Hotel/resort price started from PHP3000/night*
- Only less than 3 resorts here and they are all rated 4 stars and above.
- The most quiet beach in the whole Boracay Island. Some call it a deserted beach.
- Actually they are not really deserted because there are 2 resorts here.
- You will see sunrise from this beach
- This is the closest to get to the highest peak of the Boracay Island which is known as Mt.Luho. The scenic view from the top on to the beaches and sea is just amazing. The only place to see the panoramic view of Boracay Island. Great photos can be taken from here.
- Getting here is easy but leaving here is hard. It is better to sign up a tour package instead of staying here.
- Hotel/resort price started from PHP2300/night*
- The second most popular beach in Boracay Island.
- The best place for water activity lovers. Most of the water activities will be held here. You name it and they got it.
- The sand is not as fine as White Beach but this is the place you can see the sunrise.
- Bulabog Beach is located opposite of White Beach and it is just 20 minutes walk between them. Therefore it is easily to access the restaurants and shop at the White Beach.
- They have their own restaurants and bar too! They are not going to be quiet at night.
- There are more than 20 hotels and resorts here.
- The hotel/resort price is starting from as cheap as PHP750/night*
- The most popular beach in Boracay Island with over 50 resorts/hotels
- The most happening beach in Boracay Island with lots of night performance that you will never expected
- The finest and the whitest sand in the whole island with a beautiful sunset to be expected
- The nosiest beach in Boracay Island with over 100 restaurants, stalls and bars
- The longest beach in Boracay Island which they have to divide into 3 stations which are Station 1, Station 2 and Station 3. The walking distance between Station 1 and Station 3 is 3 km which you will need to spend at most 45 minutes to walk.
- The only place with the mall which is known as d'Mall located at Station 2.
- The most popular station is Station 2.
- The popular Willy's Rock is located at Station 1.
- The cheapest hotels/resorts in the whole island are mostly located at Station 3.
- The boat pickup for sea activity is at Station 1 and Station 3.
- Do take note that during the month of March - May. There will be green moss along the beach at White Beach which sometimes may looks disgusting. Usually happens in Station 2 and some parts of Station 1 and Station 3.
- The hotel/resort price is starting from only PHP700/night*!!!
*NOTE: The price is based on the high season. You may get almost half of the price during the low season. The lowest I have seen so far was PHP300/night at Station 3. However, I do not recommend to travel during the low season. You are not here for a week or a month. So with the limited days and you do not want to spoil your holiday with their unpredictable weather here.
My tips about booking an accommodation:
- Always book early
- Book them online to get online offer
- Offer to pay them in full to get the best discount rate. The Philippines love to receive cash earlier.
- Stay longer for further discount
- Fan room is good enough because it is not really hot at night especially after a cold shower.
- Don't top up for their TV because the channel that is offered is in Tagalog. You don't even understand.
- If you are coming in larger group, you will able to get better saving after sharing the room.
- Final note: Please check the place clearly and read more other reviews before you decide to haggle the price with them.
Summary of accommodation cost (based on 4 nights):
Deluxe Fan Room with Hot Shower (max 2 pax): PHP700/night = PHP2800 = PHP1400/pax
TOTAL Accommodation Cost: PHP1400/pax
3) Activities - for more detail information please check my post about activities in Boracay during the day and activities in Boracay during the dawn
|In the evening, you can rent the volleyball net and volleyball for only PHP100. Start playing with 2 persons and you will see more people started to join you in no time. It is the best time to get along with other tourists and had fun.|
|If you have your own flying saucer, create your own space and start playing with the locals and this activity is absolutely free!|
|How about starting to show off the creative side of yourself by building a sand castle? Since the sand in the White Beach is so fine, you can easily build a tall sand castle like this. You will be easily spend 2 hours here. Once again, it is FREE!|
|I believe you will definitely bring your camera here. Taking photograph of the sunset is definitely a MUST! After the sunset, just go for a night swim! And it is ABSOLUTELY FREE!|
|There are some activities that are below PHP2000/pax which are very worth it. It is inclusive of luxurious meal, bottomless drinks and exciting boat ride. Sitting still on the same island can be boring. Below are the 2 activities which I highly recommended only if you have extra budget.|
Looking for nature thrill and excitement, Ariel's Point Cliff Jumping package @PHP2000/pax which inclusive of meal, boat transfer, entry permit and bottomless drinks will be the best choice. Ariel's Point is at Magic Island. This island is a private island so entry permit fee is required.
A more nature based trip to Panay Island which is located south of Boracay Island. It is only PHP2000/pax and it is worth to join too. You will spend 5 hours cycling and jungle trekking around the island. Ride through coconut groves, cross rivers and enjoy a great picnic next to a waterfall. This is something away from the sea by getting close with the locals and the nature.
My suggested 5 Days 4 nights budget trip:
Window shopping at d'Mall - Free
Island Hopping Tour - PHP700 + PHP200 + PHP150 = PHP1050/pax
Ariel's Point Cliff Jumping Package - PHP2000/pax - only if you have extra budget
Beach hopping to Diniwid Beach, Puka Shell Beach, Ilig-Iligan Beach and Mt Luho - PHP600/pax + Renting snorkeling set - PHP500/day = PHP1100/pax
Mountain Bike Cruising and Trekking in Panay Island - PHP2000/pax - only if you have extra budget
Sunbathing, swimming, Stand-up paddling/ Kayaking @PHP600/hour, snorkeling @PHP500/day, Jogging, Volleyball game @PHP100, building sand castle, night swim - PHP1200/pax
TOTAL Activities Cost: PHP3350 - PHP5200/pax
4) Food and Beverages - for more information, please check out my post about Delicacies in Boracay.
|Getting bored with Andoks? You can try Master Siomai selling delicious snacks from PHP45 only. There are 3 stalls located in each station at White Beach.|
|I am not a big fan for this Shawarma rice or noodle. However, there are a lot of people queuing up for it. It is up to you to judge if they are good or not. Same like Master Shiomai, there got 3 stalls located in all 3 stations at the White Beach.|
|If you do not feel full at all with those restaurants, please do try the local barbecue stalls. They are selling lots of kinds of barbecue meat with the price starting from PHP10 to PHP500. They are located all along the White Beach.|
|Do try their local coconut too! Their coconut is so sweet and it is only PHP80! Please do not just drink but do eat the coconut flesh as well. It is so smooth and delicious.|
Andoks: PHP100 x4 = PHP400
Smoke Resto: PHP200 x4 = PHP800
Dos Mestizos: PHP275 x1 = PHP275
Master Shiomai: PHP45 x1 = PHP45
Leylam: PHP65 x1 = PHP65
Jonah's Fruitshake & Snackbar: PHP100 x1 = PHP100
Coconut: PHP80 x1 = PHP80
San Miguel Pilsen: PHP30 x4 = PHP120
|This is how I spend less than PHP8000/pax and still able to enjoy the best of Boracay. I believe you can do it too or maybe better than me! Do share your experience to me ya?|
Transportation cost: PHP1225
Accommodation cost: PHP1400
Activities cost: PHP3350
Food and Beverage cost: PHP1885
GRAND TOTAL: PHP7860/pax